Saturday, September 18, 2010

SSDS meets OWH

If you've been here to my lil' ole blog before, then you know how much I believe in using talents to pay-it-forward.  Operation Write Home (formerly Cards for Heroes)  is an organization that exemplifies the pay-it-forward motto for card makers.  I personally contributed my cards, and cards my students made, to this amazing organization over the years.  Why am I telling you all of this?  I am thrilled to announce that this weeks challenge from SSDS is to make a birthday card!  Our hope is that you will then send them to Operation Write Home.
This is from the OWH website...


OWH supports our nation's armed forces by sending blank handmade greeting cards to write home on, as well as cards of gratitude to encourage them. Our 'birthday' (anniversary of our official registration as an org) is Sept 12th — but we're stretching the party to last all month!
 
Operation Write Home began in 2007 with just a few cards made by friends on a message board; what began as an outlet for a hobby has become a much larger mission to help heroes keep in touch with home - and the effort has been joined by thousands of cardmakers!
OWH receives handmade cards donated by crafters across America (and beyond!). Cardmakers range in age, location, and level of skill; cards are provided by individuals and groups, schools and scouts, companies and churches. All have one primary thing in common: a desire to serve those who defend our nation!

Cards are mailed to one of our volunteer shippers in quanities both small and large. The shippers process, sort, repair, and document each donation, and then pack and ship boxes of over 300 cards each to our contacts. Our heroes request cards (families may also request on their behalf; we serve all branches in all deployed locations.

Tax-deductible donations of any size keep this work going - from $1 to any amount - and can be included with card donations to any shipper, mailed separately, or via Paypal. Thank you for partnering with us!

Here's my contribution...
This card made me think of a story I saw on the news before I even knew we were going to be sending these cards to Operation Write Home.  Kismet, I tell ya!
The image, sentiment, and card base are all from Amuse.  I borrowed the images from my friend Lynn of the earring and apron fame. :)

I cannot tell you how much I am looking forward to seeing all of your birthday creations.  This is our best challenge yet at SSDS.  There is even a chance for you to win a prize while you help others!!!  Enter your card and you could win a prize from Craftbrulee! 

This is a Win-Win no brainer challenge!  Won't you pretty please join us?

2 comments:

  1. A gorgeous card for a worthy cause Moriah.xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your card this week Moriah. My dad would have too. He loved to golf. Aren't Amuse stamps fun?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!