Thursday, February 14, 2013

Triple Scoop for The Hen's Den Blog Hop!

It's The Hen's Den Valentine Blog Hop today!  All of us are highlighting a technique, tool, cool idea and if you hop along to everyone and leave comments at ALL the blogs you'll be entered to win some awesome goodness! 

The Hen's Den Blog Hop Roll of Awesomeness:

You have until Feb 17th to leave a comment on the posts for the hop to be entered to win!  Here is my part of the prize.  :) 

Leave a comment below to be entered to win (and you'd be my valentine if you became a follower!)

Now get ready to hop!  :)


So here's the skinny.  I've been trying to make as many cards as I can from the supplies Charlie sent (you can see the first trio here).  The DP is all from Simple Stories Fabulous collection.

Today I'm going to show you how I made this cupcake card (and 2 more versions too!).  The idea is not mine, I lifted it from Pinterest (via this gal).  There weren't directions, so here is what I did to make this tasty trio come to life. :)

I used my 2.5" circle punch, my 1.5" circle punch, and my 1" circle punch.  This kind of project is perfect for the Simple Stories Fabulous collection because having double sided paper gives you twice as many patterns to work with!

This shows you roughly what you need size-wise & number-wise & pattern-wise for circles.  I tried to used 1 "light in color", 1 "medium in color" and 1 "dark in color" pattern so there was enough contrast to see all the papers.

This is me playing around with the mats. I used 2 mats on top of every card base for each card, but the sizes were all different.  I went with whatever I had that I thought looked good.  Some had 1/8" borders and some were much fatter borders.  The cupcake holder/base is from the back of Flashcards paper free-hand cut.  I just eyeballed the shape.  This is an okay thing to do folks! ;)  IMPORTANT- Make sure when you glue down the cupcake holder/base you leave empty space at the bottom.  You'll find out why in a minute.  To help remind me to do this, I make sure the largest circle is pretty close to the top of card.

The next step is to add 3 of the 1.5" circles (each one should be a different pattern) along the top of the cupcake holder.  This is why it's okay to eyeball the cuppie holder.  Most of it will get covered by the time this card is finished. :)  Notice how the bottom right circle matches the largest circle?  You'll want to do this each time you make this card.  You'll see why a little further down. :)

Next add the remaining 1.5" circle.  See how the circle on the bottom left is the same as the one you just added?  This is also important for contrast.  Bottom left should always match upper right.

Now add the smallest circles.  The 1" circle you add to the bottom should match the 2.5" circle.  Now you have formed a triangle for your eyes.  Also if you had added the other circle to the bottom you'd never "see" it because it would blend too much with it's mate in the middle. :)

That empty space you left at the bottom left you with a place to add a ribbon and message.  See how it all works out?  And you were so worried. LOL! ;)  To add to the fun, and since it is Valentine's Day, I die cut a small heart for the "cherry" and one to go with the message.  Not a stamper?  No problem!  I used the sentiments from the page of stickers. Now that you know how to make these for yourself, I'll show you 2 more versions using this paper line!

One with more patterned background paper and...

One where I stamped the brown polka dots on the background.  No sentiment here just some distressing instead.  The pink "composition" pattern circles are from one of the flashcards on the Flashcard paper.

Don't forget to leave me a comment to be in the running to win the goodies from ALL the blogs in our Hen's Den Designers hop!


Supplies from The Hen's Den used here:

Simple Stories- Fabulous- 100% Girl (all 3 cards)
Simple Stories- Fabulous- Fabulous Flashcards (used on 1 & 3)
Simple Stories- Fabulous- Brown Damask/Antique (used on 1 & 3 for mats)
Simple Stories- Fabulous- Orange Mini Dot/Doily (all 3 cards)
Simple Stories- Fabulous- Sassy (all 3 cards)
May Arts Ribbon- Orange Wrinkled (card 1)
May Arts Ribbon- Ivory/Green (card 2)
May Arts Ribbon- Light Green Check (card 3)
Also used- Bazzill cardstock in Truffle & Hot Pink

Your next stop is 




25 comments:

  1. What an adorable card!! Great way to use up scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the card and the simple stories lines :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super cute card! Happy Valentines Day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool, colorful and cheery! great use of scraps and punches!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute card! I love fuzzy slippers too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So sweet 'n cute! Now I know what to do with my scraps.Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cute and the simple stories paper is FABULOUS!

    ReplyDelete

  8. So cute Moriah and now I want an ice cream cone. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. really nice idea - would work really well with all kinds of leftover scraps too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am just getting my toes wet in card making, so this was really neat to see. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an absolutely adorable card!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great card idea, even if it is scrap lifted from pinterest. Pinterest has so many great ideas. Great way to use up your stash and scraps and love that you are trying to make as many cards with this line. I would do the same thing. Great job Moriah.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is such a cute, colorful and wonderful project. I love all of your layering!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a cute card! Love seeing how you use your stash!

    ReplyDelete
  15. great photo's showcasing the product sent to you. the Hen's Den is a nice place to hang out...
    ava g

    ReplyDelete
  16. Simple stories has some great lines. Can't wait to see in person the new one.
    Congrats on your goal and pushing yourself. Every year for Valentine's Day I make 35 cards for a Career Class @ my church to include in baskets that they make and giveaway to people in our church that may not have anyone. My goal is always to not duplicate a card. I never know if they will be comparing the cards they receive, so I want each one to be different.
    The 1st year 1 card took 7 hours to complete. I don't have a design eye and am a perfectionist. So because it takes me so long to get that many done, this year I started making them right after Christmas. I had them completed by the end of Jan. It felt so good to be done that early. We took a 2 week vacation and didn't realize that they would be giving out the baskets the day after we returned. Soooo I was twice as glad I had set that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is so cute! This is a great way to use up the little pieces that I can't make myself throw away!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love how you took one idea and used little details to individualize it into 3 "stinkin' cute" cards! Very creative. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the great design. I am a follower and would love to be entered in the give a way. Going to check out the other blogs.
    http://joycesloveoflife.blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great use for all your circle punches.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always wondered how you come up with your designs. Know I know.

    ReplyDelete
  22. As if your cupcake card wasn't amazing enough on it's own (love that this can easily be done with scraps!!), but you went a step further and explained the whole design process! I often struggle with stronger patterns, but this really makes so much sense! Fabulous card!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!