Monday, February 8, 2010

Patterned Thoughts

Thanks to folks for sharing some of their Valentine traditions! It's so interesting to hear, and be inspired by, the traditions of folks everywhere. Day One of Curious Cupid is over and I need to hurry up and get the gift for Day Two ready! In the meantime I thought I would post a fun card that I taught a little bit ago and finally got around to snapping shots.
I just came across a lovely blog called Lucy's Cards and she is hosting a polka dots challenge, gosh then I saw Pollycraft was doing a challenge with a things with wings theme and finally Kaboodle Doodle is doing a spots and stripes challenge. Well, I was so excited to see these challenges because this card was a stretch for me. I tend to stamp only on white paper, color the image and then mount it on pattern paper. I've seen other fabulous creations that are stamped on patterned paper and so I stepped outside of my box and created this (I think) fun card.I used StazOn timber brown to stamp this birds and tree image. I'm pretty sure it is Memory Box, but I just finished cleaning my little studio and this stamp is buried in my "Fauna" bin of stamps. (If I'm wrong, please let me know!) The paper is from the orange scrap bag.
The sentiment is from Hero Arts and is also stamped with StazOn timber brown on paper from the green scrap bag (cause it happens to have mostly green on it :) ). I added red Stickles to the flowers and a couple of dots that were stamped along with the sentiment.

I'm kinda proud of myself for stepping outside of my comfort zone. My friend Isabelle and I used to joke that I used so much brown, white, and other earth tones that to me exciting cards were ones that I would "punch up with a little beige". I think I've come a long way since those days. :) What "personal craft challenge" have you "overcome"? I'd love to hear from all of you!

18 comments:

  1. Cute card, and a great way to use snippets and scraps! Like you, I used to be in a color rut, so I try to break out of that and use colors that I'd usually go straight past on the way to my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous card and such lovely colours.
    Thanks for joining us at Pollycraft & good luck.
    Hugs Emma x

    ReplyDelete
  3. The challenge that I am trying to over come is to use my pretty paper. I know, I buy it because it is pretty and then save it, weird huh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. fabulous card and i love the papers,thanks for joining us at pollycraft

    sue
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is ever so pretty - I love the stripe / spot combination. And what a sweet tree image. Thank you for entering my challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really love the colours you have used in your card. Thanks for joining in Kaboodledoodles this week and hope to see you next time. Jill

    ReplyDelete
  7. h i love that tree it's cute! And the colours you used are lovely..great card! Thanks for playing along at Lexi's Creations

    Hugs Lexi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fab card,
    Thanks for playing along with us on Lexi's Creations
    Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a lovely card
    Thanks for joining us at Kaboodle Doodles this week,
    Hugs
    Angie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love all the great detail on this card. Thanks for playing our Kaboodle Doodle challenge. ~chris

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love that you stamped right over the patterned paper. I have the same color issues, lots of brown and green. Thanks for the nudge to change that up now and then.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You certainly have stepped outside your comfort zone, Mo!! It's very lovely indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great crad and good to see spots and stripes. Thanks for playing along at Kaboodle Doodles. Hope to see you back for the next challenge. Marianne x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely work
    Thanks for playing along at Lexis Creations

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a gorgeous card.

    Thanks for joining us at Pollycraft.

    Hugs

    Joanne xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful card! I love it!
    Hugs
    Sandra x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous card, love the stamps you've used :-)

    Thanks for joining us at Lexi's Creations & Good Luck!

    Hugs
    Tracey
    x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for your sweet comments!